Unity Is Our Superpower
Psalms 133:1-3 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brothers to dwell together in unity! It is like the precious oil upon the head, coming down upon the beard, even Aaron’s beard, coming down upon the edge of his robes. It is like the dew of Hermon, coming down upon the mountains of Zion; for there the Lord commanded the blessing – life forever.
1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment.
Philippians 2:2 Make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose.
God loves unity environments
- The commanded blessing of God – Zoe life – happens in a certain environment
- God is omnipresent but moves into environments where He is made welcome
- The Holy Spirit was poured out in an environment of unity (Acts 2:1-2)
- You are an environment creator: a thermostat, not just a thermometer
- You can contribute to unity or division
- Jesus’ last big High Priestly prayer in John 17:20-23 was that we would be perfected in unity
- God meets us in the place of agreement: that’s where the power is (Matthew 18:19-20)
- There is something so very different about being in the room together: power in agreement and power in the gathering (Mark 3:24-25)
The world at its worst needs the church and its best
Unity is more than just getting along
- 1 Peter 4:10 “As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.”
- Everyone has something to offer and is gifted to be a contributor, not just a consumer
- Unity is not passive; it is an active engagement
- Acts 2:1 “When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place.” (Together they were together)
- Attendance is not necessarily alignment with the cause
- To be a part of the church is to live as a family in unity, to combine our strengths, gifts, and resources, to see our vital role in the planet, and to be used by God to fulfill His heart and desire for the planet
Love is the perfect bond of unity
- Colossians 3:14 “Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.”
- I used to think vision was the unifier but it’s actually love
- Everything may not be happening just like you like it, but you could still choose to play team to be in unity
- Love allows for differences, overlooks small things and works through offenses
- Unity is not a feeling; it is a decision!